Home About us Transportation Gallery Partners Contact
Transportation

History

The Spanish galleons visited San Jose del Cabo Estuary to obtain fresh water in preparation for their length travels to Philippines in the late 17th, later when pirates raids along the coast of Cabo San Lucas and La Paz, the need of an established settlement became urgent along with growing unrest among guaycuras and pericue Indians south of Loreto trying to engulf  mission communities, forced the Spaniards to send armed troops to the cape region to quell Indian uprising in 1723, 1725 and 1729.


In 1730, Jesuit priest Nicolas Tamaral traveled south from mission La purisima and founded San Jose del Cabo on a mesa overlooking the arroyo. North of the current town ( Right now is know it as: San Jose el Viejo), due to the overwhelming presence of mosquitoes at the site, Tamaral soon moved to the estuary, flanked by vigia hill and de la cruz hill. Tamaral and the pericus got along fine until he pronounced and injunction against polygamy.

After Tamaral punished a Pericu Shaman for violating the anti-polygamy decree, the Indians rebelled and burned both the San Jose and Santiago missions in October of 1734. Tamaral was killed in the attack. Shortly thereafter the Spanish established a presidio, which served the dual purpose of protecting the community from insurgent Indians and the estuary from English pirates.

By 1767, virtually all the Indians in the area had died either of European diseases or in skirmishes with the Spanish. Surviving mission Indians were moved to missions farther north, but San Jose del Cabo remained an important Spanish military outpost until the mid-19th century when the presidio was turned over to Mexican nationals.
During the Mexican American War (1846-48), marines from the U.S. frigate Portsmouth briefly occupied the city. A bloody siege ensued and the Mexicans prevailed under the leadership of Mexican Naval officer Jose Antonio Mijares. Plaza Mijares, San Jose's town Plaza is named to commemorate his victory. As mining in the Cape Region gave out during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, San Jose del Cabo lost population along with the rest of the region. A few farmers and began trickling into the San Jose area in the 30s and in 1940 the church was rebuilt.

San Jose del Cabo remained largely a backwater until the Cape began attracting sport fishers and later the sun-and-sand-set in the '60s and '70s. Since the late 1970s, FONATUR (Foundation Nacional de Fomento del Turismo or National Foundation for Tourism Development) has sponsored several tourist development projects along San Jose's shoreline. Fortunately, the developments have done little to change San Jose's Spanish colonial character. Local residents take pride in restoring the towns 18th century architecture and preserving its quiet, laid back ambiance.
In November of 1993, a severe storm wreaked havoc on beach side condos near San Jose del Cabo but the town itself suffered little damage. Today, San Jose del Cabo provides a welcome respite from the busy, fiesta atmosphere found twenty miles south in Cabo San Lucas.


Transportation


"All services are provided by: Cabo Blue Transportation. For other information, special requirements and direct contact with the corporation, send an email to: contact@cabobluetransportation.com

Thank you."

Phone:  011 52 624 144 6344   

Cel:      011 521 624 1575549